Jumbo Shrimp over Cilantro Green Rice


Shrimps? Shrimps anyone?

Thanks to good ol’ “Uncle Ben,” growing up I was never a rice person. Nice job, Ben! I became a fan later in life when I discovered Jasmine and Sushi rice. Though it’s been a number of years, since I came across green rice, I feel like I've been shortchanged having not discovered it earlier, since it’s just that good. This recipe calls for 2 Poblano peppers, which in the scheme of things are considered mild peppers. However, despite taking out all but a few of the seeds and much of the membrane, the rice came out spicy; spicier than I had anticipated but very nice. Now I love heat and could have eaten it plain but some of you, (Mom) might need to keep a glass of water close at hand. I kept the shrimp nice and simple, seasoning only with salt and pepper so it didn't compete with, but rather complimented and cooled the flavorful green rice. This is a great way to take regular rice and make it super impressive, inexpensively. And it’s very healthy. Plus, the next morning I used the leftovers to make fried rice to compliment my omelet.

INGREDIENTS FOR SHRIMP
Jumbo shrimp
Salt
Pepper
And that’s it!

INGREDIENTS FOR GREEN RICE
2 cups chicken stock, warm
2 poblano chile peppers
1 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped (about 1 cup)
Salt
3 tablespoons corn oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced (about 2 cups)
1 cup medium or long-grain white rice
3 cloves garlic, minced
Freshly ground black pepper
4 scallions, white and pale green parts only, sliced, optional

DIRECTIONS FOR SHRIMP
Saute in pan on medium about 2 min each side

DIRECTIONS FOR GREEN RICE
In a blender combine, warm chicken stock, poblano peppers, cilantro and 1 teaspoon salt.

Blend until smooth.

In medium saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onion until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add rice and garlic and stir for another minute. Add chili puree, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cooking until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes.

Remove from heat, fluff with a fork. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Garnish with scallions and serve.

Source:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/simply-delicioso-with-ingrid-hoffmann/green-rice-recipe/index.html

About Me: http://zacksmithishungry.blogspot.com/2012/09/about-me.html

Comments

Popular Posts