Lamb Ragu with Drunken Pappardelle


The researching and creation of this recipe was the spawn of yet another deal. This time with a friend who wanted to hang out one last time before his wife gave birth and he'd become even more MIA. He invited us over on a Saturday night (his wife was due the day before making the GF very nervous that if she did go into labor, we'd have to Google "how to deliver a baby"). 
As with my cousin, who I had previously cooked for, this friend was also very conscious of my financial constraints and was up for striking a deal. I cook for the GF, him and his wife at their apartment, and they'd buy the groceries. I agreed under the stipulation that he act as my Sous Chef (note: he's actually a better and more creative cook than me).

He agreed and so we decided to make dinner for our shorter halves. We settled on Short Rib Ragu with Drunken Pappardelle. When we went grocery shopping the goal was to find already prepared Short Ribs to reduce the amount of cooking time (these take a long time to cook). After a few hours traveling all around the Upper West Side in search of already cooked Short Ribs, we had to think of a Plan B and substituted the ribs for four awesome, huge - and pre-cooked - braised lamb shanks. We simply cut the meat off the bone and gave it  a rough chop. They were amazing. 

In fact, it was after leaving their apartment that night that the GF really got after me to start a food blog, if nothing else than to document and keep track of the great recipes I've made, along with any adjustments I’d make the next time. And I finally caved.

INGREDIENTS:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large or 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 4 cooked short ribs, meat pulled and shredded plus 1 cup braising liquid
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta
- 1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
- Pecorino Romano cheese
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped

DIRECTIONS:
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the carrots, onions, celery, garlic and season with salt, and pepper. Cook until very tender, then stir in the tomato paste, stock, short rib meat, and braising sauce. Heat through, then cool completely and store for make-ahead meal. Skim the fat and reheat, covered, over medium heat.

While the sauce reheats, bring 5 to 6 cups of water to a boil with 1 bottle red wine. Add the pasta and cook to al dente. Drain the pasta and toss with sauce to coat, then top with Pecorino cheese and chopped parsley.

Comments

  1. Sounds delicious. Gonna give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious. Gonna give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. As a matter a fact all your receipes look delish. I had no idea you loved to cook! Such a great idea to do this blog, I'm going to tell my friends about it. All I ask is that you and the GF come to my new pad when I settle in and we cook something fabulous together. I will provide all the ingredients. Deal? XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elise. Definitely a deal!

      Delete
    2. Yay!!!!!!! Can't wait!

      Delete
  4. That deal works for me, Elise!! :-) Let's look at some dates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited!!!! Will email you both privately, but end of October, beginning of November works for me. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts