Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Grilled Mushroom Vinaigrette


I found this recipe as a result of a deal I made with my cousin. He knew I was unemployed and thus reigning in my expenditures. However, he'd just graduated from Grad school earning his PhD, had some time off and wanted to come to NYC to visit for a few days. I told him he was more than welcome to come up and stay with me but I couldn't afford to go out to any restaurants. He agreed and offered this deal: he buys all the groceries as long as I would cook awesome meals. Since I figured he needed a few days off from his boozy college days in D.C., I agreed. 

Now, I really love this kid but he is a wine and food snob. That’s right “Mr. I don’t eat meat unless it’s filet mignon." Seriously? "No, I’m not kidding.” So, needless to say, a tough audience. To kick things off the night of his arrival, I thought he could go for some comfort food. And for guys, that usually means sandwiches. I found this recipe and thought it was a perfect way to elevate a typical chicken sandwich. 

The result? Another satisfied customer in awe of my culinary artistry. Who am I kidding...I followed a recipe. But I will say a key ingredient is the bread. Don't skimp and serve on hamburger buns or sliced bread, go out and get the good stuff: fresh chiabatta.

Clearly, we didn't like the sandwich. 
(Now, I have to caveat that the first picture at the top of this post is terrible and doesn't do the chicken much justice. It got washed out in the flash of my camera and looks more like mozzarella cheese rather than grilled chicken. But believe me when I tell you it had a nice char-grilled color.)

What I also liked about this meal is that it just kept on giving. I had leftover grilled chicken and mushroom vinaigrette. Dilemmas, dilemmas. Answer: combine both in a bowl and use to create the most amazing omelette ever. Bold statement I know, but it lives up to it. I'd certainly go so far as to say I'd make the entire recipe again purely so I could make omelets the next day. Move over mushroom, ham and cheese. There's a new filling in town.

INGREDIENTS:
- 4 individual mini ciabatta loaves
- 1/2 to 3/4-cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more for brushing bread
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound mixed fresh mushrooms such as shiitake, morel, chanterelle, and domestic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (I used whole chickend breasts so I'd have leftovers to use in omelets for breakfast the next morning)
- 3 to 4 cups arugula or watercress

DIRECTIONS:
Cut each ciabatta loaf in half. Brush the inside of each half with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and set aside.

Prepare the grill and let it burn down to medium-hot coals or set a gas grill to medium heat. Place the bread on the grill, away from direct heat, and grill on both sides until brown and crispy on the outside but still soft within, about 5 minutes.

Leave the mushrooms whole, and toss in a bowl with 1/2 cup of the olive oil, 1 teaspoon of the thyme, the garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Immediately grill the mushrooms (be careful not to allow the flames to flare up and burn the mushrooms), turning at least once, until browned and cooked through, about 7 to 8 minutes.

In the marinade bowl, add the shallot, 1/2 cup of olive oil, vinegar, parsley, the remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir well. Let the mushrooms cool, finely chop, and add to the marinade bowl. Toss well. (The mushroom vinaigrette may be made a day ahead, covered, and refrigerated, and then brought to room temperature before serving.)

Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken. Drizzle with a little olive oil.

When the coals have burned down to a medium fire, place the chicken on the grill and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Turn over, move to the edge of the grill away from direct heat, and continue to cook until opaque throughout, about 7 minutes. Remove to a plate.

In a bowl, toss the arugula with the citrus vinaigrette. Slice the chicken breasts crosswise at a 45 degree angle. Pour any accumulated chicken juices into the mushrooms and stir. Spoon the mushrooms on top of 4 slices of grilled bread and top with the chicken. Divide the arugula among the sandwiches. Place remaining slices of bread on top and serve immediately.



Comments

Popular Posts